In this article, I’ll breakdown how to do the lower body exercises found in the associated video. That way you can lunge alongside our model like an expert.
This workout is an extremely effective way to build muscle in your quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Additionally, it will also challenge your core stability. Perhaps one of the greatest parts about this lower body HIIT workout, however, is that while you’re building muscle you will also be increasing heart rate and working up a sweat, making it ideal for those who love burning fat too!
Goblet Squat 3×15
Superset with low plank (3×20-30 seconds)
How To Perform Goblet Squats:
Set Up: Find yourself a dumbbell with a weight that fits the rep range, and that you can move effectively, with proper form. Stand with your feet a little wider than shoulder width apart (you can experiment with width stances for targeting different portions of the thigh, but start with the basics). Hold a weight against your chest, kind of like you’re holding, well, a goblet. Hold the dumbbell vertically.
- Engage your core, so that your back stays in alignment
- Press your hips back and begin bending your knees as you lower into your squat
- Make sure to keep the weight close to the body during the movement
- Lower until either 90 degrees or a little lower depending on your flexibility, goals, and mobility.
- Press through your heels and rise forth with your goblet in victorious hand
- That’s one rep. Perform 15. And, if you’re really daring, 16.
Walking Lunge 3×10 each leg
Superset with Jump rope (30 seconds)
How to perform Walking Lunges:
- Stand with your feet roughly hip-distance apart.
- Step forward with your right foot—about two feet ahead.
- Keeping your core engaged and upright, bend both knees and lower your back knee toward the floor. Stop just before it touches down.
- Press firmly through your right heel and extend your right knee to rise to stand as you lift your left foot from the ground, bringing your left foot forward to plant it about two feet ahead of your right foot.
- Continue stepping forward with each lunge, alternating sides as you do.
- Finish your set by bringing your back foot to meet your front foot on the final lunge.
- Perform 10 reps per leg
Hip Thrust 3×10
Superset with Side Plank (20-30 seconds each side)
How to perform Hip Thrusts:
Set Up: Sit on the ground with a flat bench behind you, bending your knees so your feet are planted firmly on the ground and holding the barbell resting below your hips. This is one lower body movement where no one will make fun of you for using a pad, as it makes it ten times more comfortable. Now that you’re set up…
- Lean back so your shoulders are on the bench and position the bar above your hips
- Keeping feet firmly planted, drive your hips up to lift the bar
- When in the top position you want your knees bent at about 90 degrees and your shoulders near the top of the bench
- Squeezing the glutes, hold this position for a couple of seconds
- Slowly, and with control, lower your hips
- That’s one rep. Perform 10-15
Glute Bridge 3×15
Superset with Jumping Jacks (30 seconds)
How to perform Glute Bridges:
- Lie face up on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Keep your arms at your side with palms facing down
- Lift your hips off the ground until your knees, hips, and shoulders are forming a straight line.
- At the top of the movement, hold the contraction, squeezing your glutes. Keep your abs drawn in so you don’t overextend your back.
- After a 1-3 second hold, slowly lower back down.
- That’s one rep. Perform 10-15
Mountain Climbers 3×20-30 seconds
Superset with straight leg hold (3×20-30 seconds)
How to perform Mountain Climbers
- Get into a plank position, making sure to distribute your weight evenly between your hands and your toes.
- Check your form—your hands should be about shoulder-width apart, back flat, abs engaged, and head in alignment.
- Pull your right knee into your chest as far as you can.
- Switch legs, pulling one knee out and bringing the other knee in.
- Keep your hips down, run your knees in and out as far and as fast as you can. Alternate inhaling and exhaling with each leg change.
- Perform for 20-30 seconds
Putting it all together
|Goblet SquatLow Plank||3x153x20-30 seconds||30-60 seconds|
|Walking LungesJump Rope||3×10 (each leg)3×30 seconds||30-60 seconds|
|Hip ThrustSide Plank (each side)||3x103x20-30 seconds (each side)||30-60 seconds|
|Glute BridgeJumping Jacks||3x153x30 seconds||30-60 seconds|
|Mountain ClimbersStraight Leg Hold||3×10-30 seconds3x20-30 seconds||30-60 seconds|
Check out this DB leg workout.